Let’s start here! Who hates packing? Me, me, me, me, me! No Momma has time for packing! But let me tell you, take a little time, and you will be on your way to enjoying your trip to it’s fullest.
As much as I HATE PACKING, I have to follow it with, I am really good at it! It’s just one of those things that I had to master. I had to take it by the reins and master it, or it was going to MASTER ME! (Cue really treacherous dooms day movie music here!)
So, I thought I would share some of my tips with all of you. And help you perfect this aspect of your next getaway.
- Don’t underestimate the power of a good plan. You have to plan it out to optimize your easy breezy vacation vibe once you get there!
- Finish your packing 3 to 4 days in advance if you are going away for a week or more. Seriously, you have enough clothes.This will truly SAVE your sanity!
- The month before your trip, take note of outfits you love or get compliments on. Packing items you already put together that are flattering will only make your trip feel more like a vacation. I jot down a note throughout the month before my trip to remember what outfits I want to take. Seriously, this is a pro-tip that has saved me SO MUCH TIME!
- Label, Label, Label. You think I’m nuts, but this tip changed everything for me! You WILL forget what outfit you were going to wear! You will. So just pull out the post-its (Make sure they are 3M Post-It brand. My dad spent 35 dedicated years at 3M! You have to support!)
- When you begin to pack your suitcase, put the outfit for the last day of your trip at the very bottom and work your way up. This will also help you if you are going to multiple places and don’t want to unpack your whole suitcase.
- When you are packing your clothes in the suitcase try to only fold each piece in half so it spans the entire bag. This is a critical part of not having to iron daily!!!! And making smaller piles adds bulk and open spaces that are not an efficient use of the space in your suitcase. This optimizes all space in the suitcase. (Expert Tip: If you put the post-its on the tags they will stay in place)
- Once you’ve packed the center of the suitcase, you may have some space around the edges. Guess what goes there? You roll up your pjs, t-shirts, socks, and undies and place all of those in the outside space. Boom! Packing Optimization! I work in Marketing, we are always in the business of OPTIMIZATION!
- If you need to, pack a day and night outfit for each day. And then pack 3 to 4 neutral pieces you can mix and match if you need them.
- Make sure you LOVE everything you are taking. Don’t pack that new shirt that only fits you first thing in the morning or on the days you’ve starved yourself. You know what I am talking about. Questionable items should stay home. Be in love with everything you are taking and you will love your trip.
- Scarves and accessories can change an entire outfit, add a pop of color and add versatility to a more neutral outfit. A knit black dress can go from day to night in a flash. Replace your flip flops with some cute wedges or cage heels and add a long gold or beaded necklace and you’ve transformed your entire look.
- Layer, layer, layer. This is how you prepare for the varying weather that may occur. I pack a cream sweater and a black sweater and now I have options that can be used if the weather changes.
Ok. You are ready for your next vacation. Plan it today! Life is too short! Take the trip, buy the shoes, eat the cake! Bon Voyage!
As far as dirty clothes and getting yourself home, THROW IT ALL IN. Order an extra Pina Colada at the pool your last day to drown your sorrows that Vaca is over!