I’m not good at making up recipes from scratch, but I’m decent at taking existing recipes and making them faster and easier to prepare! So when I recently came across a recipe for a lentil and rice salad, I knew that with a little help from Trader Joe’s I could make it in under 10 minutes, and even add some extra texture to the original recipe. The real time savers here are the pre-cooked lentils and rice from Trader Joe’s. It came out quite tasty, and is perfect for a weekday dinner or for lunches (it’s one of those dishes that tastes even better the next day).
Here’s what you’ll need. (If you’re not a Trader Joe’s shopper, no worries – it’s still a pretty quick dish to put together.)
- Trader Joe’s Steamed Lentils (1/2 package)
- Trader Joe’s Frozen Organic Brown Rice (1 bag)
- Trader Joe’s Shredded Carrots (1 cup)
- Trader Joe’s Slivered Almonds (1/2 cup)
- Trader Joe’s Roasted Sunflower Seeds (1/4 cup)
- Trader Joe’s Organic Grape Tomatoes (1 cup, cut in half)
You’ll also need, from TJ’s or another source:
- Olive Oil
- Fresh lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
- Chopped onion (1/4 cup)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Microwave rice according to package directions. While the rice is cooking, in a large bowl, mix lentils, carrots, almonds, sunflower seeds, tomatoes and onions. Set cooked rice aside to cool slightly. In a small bowl or jar mix oil, lemon, salt and pepper. Add rice to lentil mixture. Top with dressing and mix well. Enjoy!