Trends come and go and nothing says you’re staying with the times like sporting the latest and greatest. But, don’t let it break your bank! Accessorizing is the name of the game!
But first, a quick story! I just boarded a plane back to Chicago. That’s why my Wednesday blog is so late in the day. I just got home. Hustle Momma, Hustle! I was in Napa for an Automotive Conference. I work in the Automotive Industry and it was a great 3 days of thought provoking conversation, wonderful people, and very good wine.
As I was boarding my plane, the flight attendant stopped me and said, “I love your dress.” I smiled and thanked her for her compliment. She said, “It looks so expensive”. I was surprised by that. It’s a t-shirt dress from Walmart! You heard me right. Walmart! When I whispered that to her, she couldn’t believe it.
Here’s my secret. Yes, it’s a t-shirt dress from Walmart! But my accessories aren’t. I have on gold sandals. A long necklace, some cute bracelets and a really cute headband. I also have my long black sweater on since planes can get a little chilly. This is my signature flight attire. Comfy and cozy but always a little chic!
Jewelry and shoes. Those are the 2 things every girls should worry about. Trends come and go, and I make sure my jewelry and shoes are on point. The rest can be neutral and very inexpensive.
It’s no secret that I LOVE fashion and accessorizing is something that actually makes me happy. Putting an outfit together is fun for me. I love pairing new things together and it’s important to me that it is “my style”.
But it’s not all about high price items and flashy labels. I do not have a brand that I am loyal to, because, well, that’s their style, not mine.
What I put together and what I wear is authentically me! And I can also tell you that I am an amazing bargain shopper. Through accessories and the right shoes, you can dress up just about anything. Even a Walmart black t-shirt dress!
Here’s a couple of tips.
- Don’t spend a lot of money on trends. It’s fun to buy a new trend. A pop of plaid when that was in. A little leopard print. A nice Kimono. But these come and go. And I can tell you the Kimonos are so in right now. And they are so so cute! But soon, they will be OUT and you DO NOT want a closet of things that you spent a fortune on that are no longer in style.
- Go neutral and add a pop! I have a lot of neutral basics and I buy most of my basics at inexpensive places. Old Navy, Gap, Target, and even Walmart.
- Your Pop can be a pop of color, a statement piece of jewelry, a scarf, a kimono, or an awesome shoe!
- Don’t overdo it! If you are wearing a statement piece of jewelry, your shoe can be pretty neutral. If you have a bold shoe, everything else can be a little more subdued. This allows that one pop of color or accent piece to really stand out.
- I always dress 1 degree higher than the occasion calls for. Not overdressed. And many times you can take something simple, like a t-shirt dress and make it special with your accessories. Don’t underestimate how good it can make you feel. Putting yourself together on your toughest days, can go a long way to making you actually feel better! And for a mom on the run, there is nothing better than that!
So throw a piece of jewelry on! Shop for one that you love and let it bring you joy! Throw on some bracelets, a cute sandal, a headband or a kimono. And off you go! Looking chic and feeling great!